Sunday, January 23, 2011

Simple bar problem indicating why Newton-Rhapson might get stuck

For my BA thesis I'm working with my dad on his Joint Model. It's basically a model that calculates the forces on joints in the body, given a certain starting position. This model is used extensively in research of surgery techniques and implants, so I hope I can contribute something to it. The model finds the point where all the forces are in balance, and it uses the Netwon-Rhapson method to find the point on which all the forces add to zero. This zero-point finding method is kind of a dragster however, it goes fast but it can't make any turns. My BA project will focus on implementing a more robust method for finding the zero point, which will hopefully counter the problem with local minima as described in the article below. It's in Dutch though, sorry for that ^^.

Intro problem here!

Naturally I'll be posting all my progress with the research here!

No comments: