Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations - Question 11

As part of the homework for NMPDE's, I made a Maple script that calculates gas speed, density and pressure in a 1 dimensional shock tube based on the 1-D euler equations for perfect gas. This is nothing really special, but I thought I'd share it anyway for anyone interested. I initially had some problems with the calculations, as it turns out that the leapfrog method is unconditionally unstable for this problem. After noting this, and taking half a day to spot a mistake where I typed a p instead of a rho, I got all the calculations to work by using another simple method named the Lax-Friedrichs scheme. All the results can be found in my write up here. It's totally uninteresting, and the write-up is bound to having a lot of grammar and layout mistakes in it, but it's just a normal assignment, so >.>
The maple code can be found here for anyone interested.

Now move along :P

No comments: